Contextual Targeting for Destinations and Attractions
9 June 2023
Contextual targeting is one of the simplest and most effective routes for destinations, museums and visitor attractions to reach more people, sell more online and drive footfall. It gives brands the ability to precisely target the right audience, at the right time, with the right message and is increasingly important given the declining importance and effectiveness of third-party cookies in online advertising.
In this insight session, Rupert Bean, Kallaway’s Media Director, overs the advantages of contextual targeting, how it differs from behavioural targeting and how destinations and visitor attractions can better succeed by improving their contextual targeting activity online. The session covers contextual targeting across digital, out-of-home, and audio advertising channels.
The key advantages of Contextual Targeting:
1. Consumers are more likely to act: When an ad is unintrusive and relevant to the content on the page via Contextual Targeting it leads to a positive perception of the ad, and the brand itself and higher purchasing decisions from future advertising from that brand. A study by Business Wire* found that 73% of consumers felt that contextually relevant ads complimented their content experience. In addition, purchasing intent was 63% higher for audiences that were served contextually relevant ads over those which were targeted through behavioural methods.
2. More effective than other forms of advertising: Recent Neilsen research** , surveying 1800 people across the UK, showed that contextually targeted ads were the most effective at driving higher rates of interaction.
3. Contextual improves brand safety: Contextual advertising provides a higher degree of brand safety than most other forms of online advertising. Part of maintaining a brand’s public image comes from serving ads to high-quality websites, an objective which isn’t always feasible when website selection is managed solely through a user’s data and browsing habits (which will no longer be possible once the third-party cookie goes). Because contextual advertising manages website selection for ad serving based on the contents of a web page itself, the chances of a contextually relevant website complementing the message of an ad and retaining a brand’s reputation are both greatly improved.
4. Privacy friendly without asking for user opt-in: Contextual Targeting is effective without relying on the internet user having to opt-in (e.g. control cookie preferences) and does this while conforming to privacy regulations. The rise of consumer control over cookies that track their internet use has reduced the use and effectiveness of cookies in internet marketing - and increased the importance of Contextual Targeting.
5. Straightforward: Contextual advertising operates on straightforward keyword matching - simple and effective, and not a cookie in sight!
Contextual targeting provides a highly effective and cost-effective way to improve your online advertising.
Watch the session and speak to Rupert Bean for more information on our media planning & buying services and how Contextual Targeting can help your business and brand goals.
Like this content? Then sign up for Kaffeine our monthly email with advice, insight and news from the Kallaway team.